On what would turn out to be a emotional day at Great Chief Park, the ladies prevailed to secure Team BC’s first medal of the 2019 Canada Winter Games in Red Deer. The female team pursuit secured Bronze with a total time of 3:44.99.
“Honestly it means so much – it means our hard work has paid off, it means that we’re finally able to show something for all this work and the years of dedication we’ve put into the sport,” said Amanda Mitchell (Fort St. John) following the team pursuit bronze medal finish.
Teammates Brooke Braun (Fort St. John), Laura Hall (Salmon Arm), Yuna Lovell (Fort St. John) and Laura Hall (Salmon Arm) all competed well and carried the team to a bronze victory. The male team pursuit team met unfortunate obstacles after a strong start. Several falls during the race resulted in a much slower time than anticipated (4:54.30).
Each member of the team (male and female) also competed in the 500m competition this morning. Yuna Lovell secured the top Team BC finish placing 4th with a time of 1:25.19.
Josh Telizyn (Fort St. John) came out fast and fierce but was ultimately disqualified from his first 500m race. Following this, he went out and put up the 2nd fastest time of the day in his second race.
“I was going in hungry for redemption, I wanted to prove myself and prove that I belong here. I went into it racing solo, and just thinking positive thoughts and then I come out and… after my race is done I was ecstatic! I went faster than before” said Josh speaking about his second redemption race following the disqualification.
The weather proved to continue to be an obstacle at Great Chief Park, with temperatures will be freezing and wind gusting snow at all angles.
Team BC will have a much deserved rest day tomorrow, opting for easy training and fitness.
- 4th Place – Yuna Lovell (Fort St. John)
- Race 1 = 42.64, Race 2 = 43.31, Total Time = 1:25.19
- 10th Place – Amanda Mitchell (Fort St. John)
- Race 1 = 45.04, Race 2 = 45.57, Total Time = 1:30.61
- 14th Place – Brooke Braun (Fort St. John)
- Race 1 = 46.08, Race 2 = 45.74, Total Time = 1:31.82
- 18th Place – Laura Hall (Salmon Arm)
- Race 1 = 47:42, Race 2 = 47.23, Total Time = 1:34.65
- 13th Place – Kieran Hanson (Prince George)
- Race 1 = 40.01, Race 2 = 39.51, Total Time = 1:19.52
- 14th Place – Eric Orlowsky (Prince George)
- Race 1 = 39.74, Race 2 = 39.99, Total Time = 1:19.73
- 20th Place – Jacob Rubuliak (Kelowna)
- Race 1 = 42.03, Race 2 = 41.12, Total Time = 1:23.15
- 32nd Place – Josh Telizyn (Fort St. John)
- Race 1 = DSQ, Race 2 = 37.55
Women’s Team Pursuit
- BRONZE MEDAL - 3rd Place - Brooke Braun (Fort St. John), Laura Hall (Salmon Arm), Yuna Lovell (Fort St. John), Laura Hall (Salmon Arm)
Men’s Team Pursuit
- 7th Place – Kieran Hanson (Prince George), Eric Orlowsky (Prince George), Jacob Rubuliak (Kelowna), Josh Telizyn (Fort St. John)